Use our resources below and download our handy fact sheets. Feel free to share this handy information with people in your community.
Download RIDBC fact sheets here:
Blindness Fact List
- Vision impairment affects more than 1 in 2500 children in Australia.
- RIDBC estimates that 4 out of every 10,000 children born in Australia will be diagnosed with severe vision impairment or blindness by their first birthday but there are no accurate statistics to verify this figure.
- The number of blind or vision impaired children enrolled in RIDBC programs has doubled in the last 7 years.
- At RIDBC 8.6 per cent of families of children with vision impairment are from non-English speaking backgrounds.
- Vision impairment often is associated with other disabilities.
- RIDBC is pioneering the development of Australia’s first Childhood Vision Impairment Register to more accurately ascertain the number of Australian children with significant vision impairment and how to meet their needs.
- Blind children face challenges doing every day things we take for granted like reading. Braille is vital to literacy for many children who are blind.
- Every year, RIDBC skills at least 30 teachers and professionals to work with children who are deaf or blind.
- There are an estimated 1.5 million blind children world wide.
- Children who have both hearing and vision impairment require very highly specialised education.