World Sight Day 2020 (Thursday 8 October) is an opportunity to celebrate RIDBC clients and staff who are blind or have low vision. This year’s theme, Hope in Sight, represents the hope RIDBC services provide families through vision services, paving the way for people who are blind or low vision to achieve their best outcomes.
Vision services for children at RIDBC
In 2019 RIDBC supported over 400 children with vision impairment.
RIDBC provides critical early intervention services to support children, newborn babies to school-aged, who are blind or have a significant vision impairment that impacts on their ability to learn and perform everyday activities like reading and writing. RIDBC has expertise in working with children with vision impairment who have additional challenges, including children who are deafblind.
The goal of early intervention is for parents to understand the unique learning needs of their child. Through play, daily routines and meaningful experiences, RIDBC works with parents to support their child’s early development in preparation for school. This involves focusing on braille literacy, low vision aid training, assistive technology and therapies. Programs are designed to be flexible to grow alongside the child and their family.
Other vision services at RIDBC
In addition to early intervention therapy, RIDBC offers vision services for people who are blind or have low vision.
- Preschool for children who are blind or have low vision.
- An extensive range of vision assessments and assistive technology.
- Specialist school and supporting students in mainstream schools via School Support Service.
- Supporting allied health services for children and adults who have a vision impairment, including physiotherapy, psychology, and occupational therapy.
- Accessible Information Services for individuals, community groups, schools or organisations that require accessible material) braille, large print, accessible E-text and 3D/2D tactile graphics)
RIDBC is here to help
If you would like to enquire about any vision services offered at RIDBC, contact the RIDBC Client Care team via phone on 1300 581 391, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or online by visiting ridbc.org.au/vision-services.